Translate

Saturday, February 11, 2012

My first thoughts...

Greetings from Rockford, Michigan, where I am a 1st grade teacher in a Spanish Immersion program. I love the program, I love the students, and I love the parents. But that doesn't mean that I don't encounter lots of challenges. So I'm opening up my learning, teaching and my best thoughts to share with all of you. I'm sure hoping you'll do the same. Welcome to "The World of Immersion".

My question this month is, "Why did you choose Immersion Education?" As a teacher, I chose Immersion Education as a result of my experience of living overseas for 16 years. I started studying Spanish at 32 years of age in Costa Rica, and then honed my language skills over the next 15 years while living in Venezuela. My husband and I were committed to learning the language of the country we were living in, and teaching our children to appreciate both the language and the culture. That has proven to be an invaluable life skill for our family.  I teach in a Spanish Immersion school, my husband pastors a Hispanic congregation, and our 3 children use their Spanish and their understanding of the Latin culture every day in their jobs and education.
As a matter of fact, our bilingual skills have been key to maintaining our jobs in a shifting world of employment.

I can't wait to hear from you! Why did you choose Immersion Education? Are you glad you did? What advantages have you seen from making this choice? What kind of immersion program are you involved in?
~Sheryl René

No comments:

Post a Comment